Thursday, September 18, 2008

Four Layer Delight

Time for a classic! My mom used to make this for Thanksgiving every year when I was growing up. As a kid, it was the highlight of the meal. But then along came the early '90s. A time for change. A time to wear lots of flannel. A time for mom to put aside my beloved four layer delight and start serving a pumpkin roll. So now anytime I want this dessert I have to make it myself. And although it will always be Four Layer Delight to me, it's also known as Baskin Robbins, Robert Redford Pie, Mississippi Mud, and Texas Yum Yum Pie.



1 cup flour
1 stick butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans (plus extra for garnish)
12 oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
2 small boxes (3.9 oz each) instant pudding (I used chocolate)
3 cups milk
1 container Cool Whip


Mix flour, butter, and nuts. Press into a square baking dish. Bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Mix softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1/2 of Cool Whip. Spread over cooled crust. Mix pudding with milk and pour over cream cheese layer. Spread the remaining Cool Whip on top and garnish with extra pecans. Refrigerate for a few hours.

0 comments: