Thursday, July 16, 2009

Paula Deen's Squash Casserole


Get out the butter--it's time for another recipe from Paula Deen!
Our squash is coming in nicely this year and although my husband can eat fried squash for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I thought a little change was due. Since I had great success with Paula's Apple Bacon Cheddar Sandwich and her Cookie Dough Truffles, I decided to give her Squash Casserole a try. You didn't have to twist my arm, though. Sour cream...cheddar...that's right up my alley. And it turned out great--just as yummy as it sounds!
Squash Casserole (recipe from Paula Deen)
6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini (I just used yellow squash)
vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (I used half an onion)
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon House seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed butter crackers (recommended: Ritz) (I used Keebler's Club crackers)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes. Line a colander with a clean tea towel. Place the cooked squash in the lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside. (I guess I did something wrong--I didn't have any excess moisture!)
In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
House Seasoning:
1/4 cup salt
1 TBS black pepper
1 TBS garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

0 comments: